My birthday
My 21st birthday, will go down in record as the most awesomely adventurous, eventful and personal day since I arrived! I woke at 5:45 and headed to the beach with my harp and friends to witness the morning sunrise. As I played my harp, the sun came up over
Finding Ntonga Music School:
As most of you will remember, from my harp recital, I chose to raise money for the Ntonga Music School situated in the township of Guguletu on the outskirts of Cape Town. Anyway, after diligently searching the internet to find the schools location, I came upon a blog post inviting friends to the schools structural completion. I copied down this information. Having met a friend recently that went to this township every Sunday, I asked him kindly if he would help me find this school. He agreed and on February 28th, we found the school after a few wrong turns, poor directions and a confusing hand written map by meJ When we got to the address some men were standing outside the house. I walked up to one and asked him, “is this the Ntonga Music” with a smile he replied, “yes.” I proceeded to ask, “and where might I find Pokie,” (the man whose vision it was to create the school,) he smiled and replied “that’s me.” we quickly started conversing. I told him about where I was from, how I figured out about this school and that I had seen him on the computer playing along to “Stand by Me” on his bass. We exchanged numbers. Since this meeting I have returned every Sunday playing my harp with Pokie on bass and other musicians in the township. Recently he encouraged me to amplify my harp given his electric bass, and the saxophone and trumpet whom had joined in our jazz jam sessions drowned me out completely. I purchased a pickup and now have a voice amidst the flamboyant saxophone and trumpet. In the past weeks we have recorded some fun slow jazz pieces as well as just improved together. My goal is to teach a few kids to play the harp and bring a small harp from the U.S., which they can keep and use to learn to play. What has been most enjoyable about my trips to the school, is the atmosphere, the warm friendly feeling I get upon my return each week, and simply the talent, joy and spirit imbedded within the group I play with. Our music often times wafts into the street intriguing street stragglers who peak in to get a taste of the melodies. It’s beautiful to watch young kids and even babies enter into the room, wide eyed with joy as they stare at the unfamiliar shape and sound of my instrument. Some just sit and watch as my strings move, others, they want to get in on the action. One thing that strikes me about South African culture, is the love and joy I find in people. As one of my friends put it, “South Africa breaks your heart but strengthens your soul.” Pokie and his friends are always so warming. Maybe because I am a white girl amidst all black south African men. No, its really something deeper. There is an indescribable level of appreciation for me, who I am and my passion for music. As we improvise together, each musician enters into a realm of complete peace where melodies, rhythm, and creativity meld releasing tensions from the week. Thus, I am so thankful to have found an outlet where I can play my instrument, learn from others and share with them my joy, music on the harp!
Fearing I would not find the Ntonga Music School, I also got involved with a volunteer group on campus, SHAWCO. This group goes into different townships weakly offering a variety of skills. I picked the arts program and have created my own curriculum doing a drumming circle with 12 6th grade boys. This experience has taught me a lot. I volunteer in Manenber, a township known for its level of violence and crime. Well, with that in mind, drumming with 6th grade boys is quite a challenge. By the time I arrive around 2:30, they are ready to be let loose using the drumming lesson as an energy outlet. During my first few sessions with them, my body felt like it had gone surfing, something that would exhaust a person like myself whom often battles rather than rides waves. While I have worked with youth before in a variety of settings, those experiences had not prepared me for the township experience. These kids fought to get a seat and drum enabling them to participate in the drumming circle. Once all boys were seated, kids from outside would occasionally come in to disrupt the already chaotic circle while kids drumming rather than following my instructions, would hit the drum full force. Through my weekly visits to this township, I have learned that you must first gain the kids respect. You have to be patient and wait for them to get to know you. Once you have done that, they begin to care about you and listen to your instructions. While there are always those few that just don’t seem to care, the majority have come to really try, listen and respond to my instructions. Now, when I pull out my harp, they all hush and listen to a melody slowly and quietly drumming once they find the underlying pulse. Thus, through trial and error, hard days and soar throat days, I have come to really enjoy the children and boys specifically that I work with, noting their personalities, and in turn, responding accordingly.
Last weekend marked some awesome experiences. First, even Cape Town celebrates the 11th Hour, yes, lights out, that’s right. I decided to climb to the edge of Table Mountain with a group of musicians. There we camped out in Table Mountain National Park for a couple of hours, eating, drinking, singing, playing music and telling stories. Illuminated by candles, the experience was beautiful, magical and everything I wanted. I was able to play music with some awesome percussionists including drummers, tambourines and a guitar. The music flowed beginning with improve and moving to singing US then South African songs as the stars shone above and the constellations revealed themselves during the darker of the hours. The evening was so magical in how it unfolded. Lots of fun people playing music, singing, dancing, and just enjoying, and appreciating life, away from the city, in the natural hills overlooking this magnificent city!
I woke early the next morning, proceeding to the Ntonga Music school with my camera, recorder, harp and my heart excited as always. Upon my arrival I documented the changes that continue to occur upon each weekly visit. The school finally has a locking system, signs and solid structure. After documenting the site and talking with Pokie, I spent a little while teaching one kid to play chords to one Jazz song on the harp. He was a fast learner which impressed me and Pokie alike. We continued with playing and recording music we worked on last week with an additional instrument, a drum. This was a good addition. However the guy did not know exactly what he was doing, so I spent a little while teaching him before the actual beat was worth recording. Once we got going, I re-reminded Pokie about the song he had been apart of recording for the documentary “Playing for Change.” He quickly picked up the chords and with a smile of joy and remembrance began the foundational chord structure as I provided the melody I had been working on for a few weeks. Soon we were joined by two trumpets and a saxophone making the session, lively, vibrant, and actually pretty indescribable.
As many of you know, I love singing. However, I chose to pursue a musical instrument all these year. Yet, whenever I am in quite spaces, or alone, I start singing, sometimes totally unaware of my action. Upon arriving and getting settled at UCT, I thought, why not join the UCT choir. So I auditioned, got in and am now singing weekly with a group of about forty vocalists. The experience is fun, rejuvenating and offers a new social community and break from my evenings of work. While we predominately sing classical music, the black and white South African friends I am making has been both eye opening and rewarding.
The last experience and highlight of March I would like to share with you, was hiking up to the top of Lions Head on full moon. Lions head is a mountain that sticks up between the sea and Cape Town. On full moon, everyone ascends the magnificent rock to watch as the sun disappears behind the sea painting the rock red like the Grand Canyon while the moon, gold and handsome in the sky, climbs effortlessly into the night. The hike took about an hour. I chose to embark on the mission because it only takes place once a month. Once I reached the top of the mountain, the sun slipped behind the sea and the moon, grandiosely took center stage in the sky. The experience of observing this moment was so wildly beautiful that I could hardly open my mouth let alone articulate what my senses were taking in.
What surprises me about Cape Town is that there is always a new and fun experience just around the corner. I can never predict or imagine how something is going to be, yet when it takes place, all I can say is, wow, what an INCREDIBLE experience.
What I have also learned while being here, is, take risks, ask questions and do not be afraid to stretch your boundaries for reward
No comments:
Post a Comment