Thursday, February 5, 2009

So I have never had many reasons for blogging, yet my adventures since my departure are worth posting!

As many know, I began my trip almost three weeks ago when I went to DC like many other Americans to witness the momentous inauguration of America's first African American President, Barack Obama. This event was awesome not because I was standing in thirty degree weather with a wind chill (which was considerably better than the prior weeks forecast,) but I was one of over 1 million Americans witnessing the first African American President take the sacred oath. For the first time in my 20 years as an American Citizen I felt proud, overjoyed that my flag my image and the image of all Americans was finally changing. Americans are beginning to change the way they think and act, and the inauguration speech was one example of that change. While I won't make a detailed commentary on his address given we all had the opportunity I am assuming, to watch it live. Being next to the Washington Monument in a carpet of people watching a screen where Obama was projecting and being surrounded by a multiracial crowd was an incredible moment. He is authentic, inspiring and real and I believe he will inspire the American People to follow by example.

The inauguration was something I will never forget. Standing in a crowd and feeling joy, love and unity was amazing in itself. So, thank you America for voting and YES WE CAN!!

Well, what most have been waiting for, I arrived to my final destination, Cape Town, on the afternoon of January 23rd. The first night I stayed at a bed and breakfast run by a lovely couple who invited me upon my arrival to "As You Like It," a play by William Shakespeare! Given I attended the inauguration, I arrived in Cape Town a week before my study abroad program began! So, a girl I had met at orientation and myself booked a reservation at a hostel, (definitely one of many new experiences to come...) Well the people and the hostel was absolutely AWESOME! I met both international students and Africans from South Africa and neighboring countries. My experience at the hostel was great because it enabled me to explore Cape Town and get adjusted to the culture with a small group. In the week that followed I attended fun dancing clubs, pool bars and went hiking and penguin watching which brought me to many far reaches of the Cape!

What I learned:

First and foremost, when a South African tells you to wear sunscrean, DO IT! I spent my first week with a burn across my back limiting my fun in the sun and leaving me sweating during my trips to the beach where I was confined to wearing a long sleeve shirt to protect my burn.

Staying at the hostel with other Africans was really important to initially experiencing South Africa and the Cape. I had the opportunity to interact with a variety of individuals who opened my mind to new ideas and perspectives! South Africa is a very multicultural place, which has enabled me feel more comfortable as I explore the culture with people of every skin shade.

Another realization, is adjusting to crossing the street a seemingly simple task. Unfortunetly, with cars having the right of way and Americans used to looking to the left, I have a tricky job when choosing to cross.

Going to the Townships is an experience on its own. The children there are beautiful and happy, something that at least I did not expect. They love cameras and are always willing to jump in a pose, but most striking is there love of entertaining themselves and each other. They will dance and sing for hours, bare foot.

Upon moving into my permanent housing --a huge house, I was shocked by the space and beauty. This was highlighted during my first week of orientation when I visited a township where small houses, "shacks" and space is limited. I have started asking myself questions that include, how do people live in the city knowing there is a landscape of townships only a mile or two out of town? As one greatly affected by poverty and the pain of others, it is difficult to think about children and families who survive off only a few Rand , the local currency, per day.

Well there is so much to say so I hope I have provided a brief but satisfactory flavor of my experience thus far.

I would love to hear back from you all!!

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you. I hope the adventures continue for you- both mental and physical. I am glad that you have already begun exploring the social dimensions of where you are. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds awesome. Miss you. Love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! It sounds amazing already...i cant wait to hear more so keep me updated:)

    ReplyDelete